It’s a really quick onion rings salad (called masala pyaaz) that can be prepared in a jiffy, active time involves chopping onions into rings and adding the masala. But, but, but, anything good in life doesn’t come this easy. The crunch of the onion is the crux here. As soon as you mix in the masala, the onion starts to sweat and looses it’s texture. So how to retain the bite?
The secret is to cut slightly thick rounds and soak it in ice cold water. Both of these are important to retain the bite and texture of onion. Also make sure you mix the masala right before serving and Voila! you have super crunchy, super flavourful (and did I mention, quick) onion rings salad (masala pyaaz) which can be had as is or paired with anything that you fancy!
I have an amazing make ahead tip for you- Soak the onions in the ice cold water when you start cooking the meal with which you plan to serve it. You can never oversoak it! Just when you are done preparing the main dish, quickly strain it and add the spices to serve!
Shop with Amazon:
You may wish to shop from our Amazon Affiliate links given below. They would help us create interesting recipes but at NO EXTRA COST TO YOU. Thank you so much for supporting us.
- Measuring Cups and Spoons (I use and recommend this Combo)
- Kashmiri Red chilli
- Black Salt
- Jaljeera Powder
- Lemon Juice
PS: You can search for any item from the Amazon search tab and buy it from the link provided. Remember, do not keep any items in the cart for more than 24 hours, it won’t be counted as an affiliate purchase.
Masala Onion/ Lachha Pyaaz
- 4 onion (big) cut in thick rounds
- Few Ice Cubes
- 2 cup Chilled water
- 1 Tbsp Kashmiri Red chilli may adjust to taste
- 1 Tsp Black Salt
- 1 Tbsp Jaljeera Powder
- Salt To taste swadanusar
- 1 Lemon Juiced
- Cut 1/2 inch thick circles of onion4 onion (big)
- Add in chilled water and ice cubes. Cover and rest for atleast 15 mins.Few Ice Cubes, 2 cup Chilled water
- Drain the water and discard it. Add all the masala and mix well.1 Tbsp Kashmiri Red chilli, 1 Tsp Black Salt, 1 Tbsp Jaljeera Powder, Salt To taste, 1 Lemon
- Serve immediately.
- Jaljeera powder adds a wonderful tangy flavour. If unavailable, may substitute with Chaat Masala
- Make ahead tip: You may keep the onions in ice cold water for longer duration too. Just drain and quickly mix all the other ingredients right before serving.
An approximate of the nutrition facts of the recipe is given under. Please note that these facts have been calculated using a third party calculator and is to give an idea of the nutritional value per serving.