Some recipes are so simple that you would want an excuse to make it again and again. This Creamy peas aka Malai Matar is one such recipe. It doesn’t use the white sauce as prepared conventionally. This recipe is literal malai and matar. If you have peas and malai with you then just jump to the recipe and make it. Please do come back later to read the rest of my blabbering and to tell us your review of it.
My younger brother loves peas with a capital L. So my mom had always been looking for reasons to put more peas in anything she made. She created this recipe for him but it has become a favorite of all. She would ensure that she has always has a batch of fresh peeled peas or frozen peas (depending on the season) in the freezer.
Do you involve your kiddos in peeling peas? Well, you may go a step further and ask them to use those peeled peas to make this one pot Malai Matar recipe. It would be a great way to bond with your kids.
Please note that the cooking time may vary depending on the kind of pea (soft fresh ones or big hard ones or or frozen peas). You can pressure cook the peas as a part of meal prep. When you have to serve, just heat it and add malai and garam masala.
Ensure that you don’t heat after adding malai, else the malai would melt and you don’t want that at all. You can modify it to eat it during Fasts. If you tried this recipe, do tag us @quirkycook on Instagram or @Quirkycook.swadanusar on FB, we love hearing from you.
Try one of these from the variety of recipes from our blog
Shop the Ingredients for Malai Matar
- Pressure Cooker
- Measuring Cups and Spoons (I use and recommend this Combo)
- Clarified Butter (Ghee)
- Asafoetida (hing)
- Cumin (Jeera)
- Curry Powder (Garam Masala)
You can use this link to purchase anything: https://amzn.to/3CH8AdT
Creamy Peas (Malai Matar)
- Pressure Cooker
- ½ Tbsp Oil Any neutral tasting oil
- 1 Tsp Cumin seeds Jeera
- 1 Pinch Asafoetida Hing
- ½ Tsp Turmeric Haldi
- Salt To taste (swadanusar)
- 1 Cup Green Peas
- ½ Tbsp Water
Add before serving
- 1 Tsp Curry Powder Garam Masala
- 1½ Tbsp Cream Malai
- 1 Tsp Dried Fenugreek leaves Kasoori Methi (Optional)
- Heat the pressure cooker. Add Oil, jeera and asfoetida.½ Tbsp Oil, 1 Tsp Cumin seeds, 1 Pinch Asafoetida
- When Jeera crackles, add peas along with salt and turmeric½ Tsp Turmeric, 1 Cup Green Peas, Salt To taste (swadanusar)
- Add some water and cook for one whistle on medium flame (cooking time may vary depending on the peas size and quality)½ Tbsp Water
- Your peas are cooked. You can make this beforehand.
- Add garam masala and malai just before serving. Heat the peas BEFORE adding malai and not after. You may add kasoori methi at this step, I haven't added1 Tsp Curry Powder, 1½ Tbsp Cream, 1 Tsp Dried Fenugreek leaves
An approximate of the nutrition facts (using a third party calculator) of the recipe is given under.