Affogato is an Italian word which literally means “drowned”. This dessert is as simple as anything can be. Pour a shot of espresso over a scoop of vanilla gelato (ice cream) and you are done! Yes, yes the hot espresso melts the ice cream and you have cold coffee like thing. So, are you going to eat it or slurp it?
Affogato is more about the process and the ingredients. Get the best possible ingredients like gelato instead of the regular. A strong brewed flavourful coffee would have a better taste than instant coffee. That’s what everyone says (and I don’t contradict them). Here I am sharing with you how to make an amazing Affogato using Instant coffee and any Ice Cream available.
It is the most effortless yet elegant dessert that you can make . Just keep the following few things in mind and it would be elevated to another level:
- “Mise en place” is a French culinary phrase meaning “everything in its place”. Prepare everything before you start assembly of the dessert. Being ready with everything beforehand is important
- Use chilled serving glasses
- Pour coffee slowly from the sides and not dump from the top.
- If you don’t want ice cream to melt quickly then cool down the coffee a bit
- Serve coffee on the side to your guests and let them create magical ripples and swirls themselves
- Though it is amazing combo as is, I strongly recommend topping it with salted nuts and dark chocolate shavings (like I did)
If you tried this recipe, do tag us @quirkycook on Instagram or @Quirkycook.swadanusar on FB, we love hearing from you.
Shop the Ingredients for Affogato
- Measuring Cups and Spoons (I use and recommend this Combo)
- Instant Coffee
- Dark chocolate (I used this)
- Salted nuts
- Serving glasses
You can use this link to purchase anything: https://amzn.to/3CH8AdT
- ½ Cup Water (125 ml)
- 1 Tbsp Instant Coffee
- 2 Scoop Vanilla gelato or ice cream
- ½ Tbsp Dark chocolate shavings (optional)
- ½ Tbsp Salted nuts chopped (optional)
- Keep your serving glasses in fridge for chilling
- Shave the dark chocolate and chop the salted nuts, if using½ Tbsp Dark chocolate shavings, ½ Tbsp Salted nuts chopped
- Boil water and turn off heat. Add Instant coffee.½ Cup Water (125 ml), 1 Tbsp Instant Coffee
- Take out chilled glasses and pour a big scoop of ice cream in each one of them.2 Scoop Vanilla gelato or ice cream
- Carefully add the brewed coffee from the side of the glass
- Top with chopped salted nuts and chocolate shavings, if using. Serve immediately