Cracked Wheat Porridge or Meetha Daliya is traditionally eaten as a breakfast. But, in my humble opinion, it can be had anytime of the day. Whenever your sweet craving hits, you can make this fibre-rich, high nutrition, high satiety and healthy dish to snack on. In short, you would satisfy your sweet tooth with no guilt!! Talk about killing two birds with a single stone.
Cracked or broken wheat should be roasted to a dark chocolate shade as the color gets lightened up after addition of water. Roasting the broken wheat gives it a wonderful flavour. If you are short of time, you may omit roasting it. A good rule of thumb of using water is four times the quantity of broken wheat.
I use minimal quantity of sugar. Thus, you would have a just sweetened final dish. But, if you like your dishes sweet (a good judgement would be the sweetness level of market dessert suits your palate) then you should use same quantity of sugar and broken wheat- one cup.
You can substitute refined sugar with healthier options of sweetener like unrefined sugar, jaggery, palm syrup, coconut sugar, etc. It makes this cracked wheat porridge or meetha daliya healthier and guilt-free.
Omit Ghee to make it vegan and Dairy-Free. You can easily dry roast broken wheat. In case you dont have any dietary restrictions, I strongly recommend using ghee because it enhances the flavour of the dish manifolds.
Have you tried one of our beverages yet? Try the fizzy Rose Float or the innovative and fresh Mango Muse. Our sweet recipes with minimum sugar are a must try, start with Three Ingredient Khus Khus Barfi (Poppy Seeds Fudge) and then move to the Gluten Free Nuts Seeds Bar (Mixed Panjeeri).
Shop with Amazon:
You may wish to shop from our Amazon Affiliate links given below. They would help us create interesting recipes but at NO EXTRA COST TO YOU. Thank you so much for supporting us.
- Pressure Cooker
- Measuring Cups and Spoons (I use and recommend this Combo)
- Clarified Butter (Ghee)
- Cloves (Laung)
- Black Cardamom (Badi Elaichi)
- Broken Wheat (Daliya)
- Desiccated Coconut
PS: You can search for any item from the Amazon search tab and buy it from the link provided. Remember, do not keep any items in the cart for more than 24 hours, it won’t be counted as an affiliate purchase.
Cracked Wheat Porridge (Meetha Daliya)
- Pressure Cooker
- 1.5 Tbsp Clarified Butter (Ghee)
- 2 Nos Cloves laung
- 1 No Black Cardamom Badi Elaichi
- 1 Cup Broken Wheat (Daliya)
- 4 Cup water
- ½ Cup Sugar (Can be increased, as per taste)
- 1 Tsp Clarified Butter (Ghee) Optional
- 1 Tbsp Shredded desiccated Coconut For garnish (optional)
- In a pressure cooker, add clarified butter, cloves, black cardamom and saute for a minute. Add broken wheat and roast to a dark brown color (chocolate color).1.5 Tbsp Clarified Butter (Ghee), 2 Nos Cloves, 1 No Black Cardamom
- Add sugar, water and pressure cook for three whistles on medium flame.1 Cup Broken Wheat (Daliya)
- Open the cooker once the pressure has settled and remove the whole spices from the porridge. Top with Ghee and shredded coconut. Serve hot.
Below segment gives an approximate of the nutrition facts (using a third party calculator) of the recipe.